Well and septic assistance available
Published 10:16 am Thursday, December 16, 2021
The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) currently is in the process of identifying potential Septic and Well Assistance Program (SWAP) grant recipients for septic repair/replacement.
The VDH will use $11.5 million allocated in the Governor’s Budget Bill approved on August 10 to help low-income homeowners repair or replace well and septic systems. The Office of Environmental Health Services will spend the funds through the Septic and Well Assistance Program (SWAP), which will be used to assist homeowners with incomes at or below 200% of federal poverty guidelines.
The grant covers the cost of:
• Repairing or replacing failing septic systems.
• Replacing straight pipes and privies.
• Installing conventional system repairs, alternative system repairs, or sewer connection.
• Alternative system operation and maintenance.
• Replacing inadequate private wells.
• Properly abandoning unused wells.
• Installing replacement wells or public water connections.
For more information visit https://www.vdh. virginia.gov/environmental-health/swap/.