Chimney fire burns home

Published 11:02 am Wednesday, February 21, 2018

A chimney fire at a home on Old Peachtree Road in Green Bay resulted in an occupant at the house being relocated. Trey Pyle, chief of Meherrin Fire & Rescue, said Meherrin Fire & Rescue, Keysville Volunteer Fire Department and Burkeville Volunteer Fire & Rescue responded to a structure fire at 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning. The social media page for Meherrin Fire & Rescue cited that crews worked approximately 30-45 minutes to extinguish the fire. “The fire was contained to the attic space, with the house suffering major water damage,” the page cited. Pyle said an occupant in the house, a male, was relocated and had no injuries. “The cause (of the structure fire) was a chimney fire that spread into the wall and attic,” Pyle said.