Boise enters alford plea
Published 9:53 am Wednesday, November 22, 2017
The Gazette previously reported that Brian Devon Boise, of Charlotte Court House, was convicted of one charge of the rape of a victim 13 years or younger and will see sentencing and stand trial for remaining charges, information that was provided by online court documents from Lunenburg County Circuit Court. Following the publishing of this information, Lunenburg Commonwealth’s Attorney Robert Clements cited that the information was, “erroneous,” and clarified that Boise entered an alford plea — meaning that he asserted innocence but admitted that there was enough evidence presented to find him guilty — to an amended charge of aggravated sexual battery. He said Boise will not be standing trial for remaining charges.
“If, after reviewing the report, the judge accepts the plea agreement to convict him on just the one charge, then the remaining charges will be (found nolle prosequi),” Clement said.
Nolle prosequi means charges are abandoned by the court.
Previously, Boise was indicted June 5 on 31 counts of rape and carnal knowledge by a grand jury in Lunenburg County Circuit Court. Boise was indicted on 18 counts of rape of a victim under the age of 13 and 13 counts of carnal knowledge of a victim between the ages of 13-14.
The incidents the charges stem from allegedly occurred between Feb. 2012 and Aug. 2014, Clement said previously.
According to the Lunenburg County Sheriff’s Office and Clement, Boise was arrested June 3 on a warrant of rape following an investigation between the sheriff’s office and the Lunenburg County Department of Social Services.
The investigation began after an alleged rape of a minor under 13 years of age in Aug. 2014, police say.
Clement previously said Boise lived in Lunenburg at the time of the 2012-14 incidents and in Charlotte Court House at the time of the arrest.