R-HHS launches athletic hall of fame
Published 9:29 am Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Randolph-Henry High School (R-HHS) aims to highlight and strengthen its long and storied athletic tradition with the creation of an athletic hall of fame that it is launching this week.
To facilitate the operation of the hall of fame, the school’s athletic department has also created the R-HHS Athletic Hall of Fame Committee with its accompanying constitution.
According to the constitution, “It is the mission of the Athletic Hall of Fame Committee to select athletes, coaches and contributors that meet set criteria, keeping in mind that the order is not an indication of the nominees’ value or worth.”
The constitution outlines that the Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be an annual two-day event sponsored by the R-HHS athletic department.
“Day one will consist of a reception prior to a football game which will be determined each fall, and the presentation of the inductees will be at halftime of this game,” the constitution states. “Day two will consist of a formal induction ceremony where the inductee will be presented by a person of his/her choice (i.e. former coach, player, faculty member, etc.).”
The constitution indicates that Randolph-Henry’s principal and athletic director will select the members of the committee.
Committee members will include people familiar with the athletic department’s history, the constitution notes. They can be alumni representatives, individuals with at least 10 years coaching experience at the school and others selected at the committee’s discretion.
The constitution also outlines the process whereby someone can become inducted into the hall of fame. That process is as follows:
• Nominations will be sought from the community annually through the local media and other avenues such as the fall sports program and the athletics page on the school website.
• Anyone is welcome to nominate. Nomination forms will be available in the main office at R-HHS and online at www.rhathletics.org.
• The Hall of Fame Committee will process and review nomination forms to determine a list of finalists to be considered for induction.
• The total number of inductees in any given year, excluding the inaugural class, will not exceed 10, and they will be selected by the selection committee from the list of submitted finalists.
• Any nominee not inducted in a given year may be eligible in ensuing years. An ongoing list of nominations will be kept.
• The deadline for nominations will be Jan. 31.
• The selection committee will meet and complete the selection process will by March 1.
• All inductees will be notified by April 1.
The constitution gets specific on the set of criteria that must be met by candidates eligible for nomination.
• They must have graduated from R-HHS, and they must have attended the school for a minimum of two years.
• They must be out of high school for 10 years.
• During and following his/her career at R-HHS and in the years following, the nominee must have exemplified the pride, spirit and success that is R-HHS and be in good standing.
• Each nominee must have participated in his/her sport during their time at R-HHS. Additionally, post-high school achievements may be considered. State champion teams and individuals may be automatically considered for nomination.
• They must have coached at R-HHS for a minimum of five years.
• Active coaches may be inducted at the committee’s discretion.
• They must have made a significant contribution to the school’s athletic department.
• They must have made these contributions over a period of time spanning not only the time that their child attended R-HHS (if that is the case) but in the years following as well. This could include someone who has had several children who attended.
All completed nomination forms are to either be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Randolph-Henry High School, Attention: Christopher Holt — Athletic Director, 755 David Bruce Ave., Charlotte Court House, VA 23923.