Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Published 2:27 pm Wednesday, October 26, 2016
October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Madeline’s House would like to share some facts with you on domestic violence.
• The number one cause of death during pregnancy in the United States is domestic violence.
• During the years of the Iraq war, almost twice as many women died due to domestic violence than soldiers (11,766 women and 6,614 soldiers).
• 10 million children are exposed to domestic violence a year.
• 63 percent of homelessness of women is due to domestic violence.
• 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men will be victims of domestic violence.
These statistics are alarming. However, there are ways that you can help. Be supportive if someone you know is a victim; offer help or offer to get them help. Teach healthy relationship skills to the youth in your life, and contact a local shelter to volunteer or for more ideas.
To contact Madeline’s House, call (434) 292-1077.