Donations being accepted for Drakes fire victim

Published 11:25 am Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Over the holidays, a Drakes Branch resident lost everything she owned in a devastating fire allegedly caused by an electrical problem.

“Everything is just gone,” said Mary Jackson, owner of the home. “I’m just thankful nobody got hurt.”

The fire occurred on Saturday, Dec. 26, when local fire departments responded to a four-alarm call on Oak Hill Road in Drakes Branch around 5:23 p.m.

Drakes Branch Fire Chief Kenny Tharpe said when volunteers arrived at the scene, flames were spouting from the roof of the house and heavy smoke was visible.

“It’s heartbreaking,” Jackson said. “If I didn’t have my faith I’d be gone.”

Tharpe said the fire was contained at one end of the home, and although the occupants were in the home when the fire initially started, everyone was able to safely exit. Jackson said since the fire, people have given her an abundance of clothing and she has borrowed a camper to live in.

“I’m lucky,” said Jackson. “I’m very lucky.”

Jackson described the remnants of the home as being “ashes, insulation and smut.”

Fire departments from Drakes Branch, Charlotte Court House, Bacon District and Meherrin responded to the incident and were on scene for approximately two hours.

In addition, she said her husband had passed away three years ago and all of his items that served as memories inside the home are now gone. However, Jackson said the memories will always live in her head.

Jackson said she would graciously accept any donations or contributions, however, she would have no place to currently keep large items such as furniture.

“I appreciate it so much,” Jackson said. “I really do.”

If you would like to donate items to Jackson, please contact Diane at (434) 736-0875.